Thursday, February 12, 2009

Big Week

Tomorrow is our Seidenberg School meeting. Provost Geoff Brackett will be joining us, and I hope to see as many of you as possible at 9:30 tomorrow morning at the Graduate Center.

Congratulations to Jim Lawler who received a Thinkfinity Grant, and to Dan Farkas and Joe Ryan of Dyson College who together received a Thinkfinity Grant (apologies to Dan and Joe-I didn't have my spreadsheet in front of me when I posted yesterday) . We also had a very inspiring day last Friday at the follow up meeting of Dyson College and Seidenberg School faculty exploring collaboration possibilities in digital media. John Molluzzo, Cathy Dwyer, Jennifer Thomas, Richard Kline, Dan Farkas, Hsui-lin Winkler, Lixin Tao and Sung Hyuk Cha joined Will Pappenheimer, Ruth Johnston, Catherine Zimmer, Linda Anstendig, Rebecca Martin, Joe Ryan, Kathleen Roche, Tom Henthorne, PV Viswanath (we made him an honorary Dyson College-Seidenberg School faculty member for the day, even though we know he's from the Lubin School), Zhaohua Dai, Nira Herrmann, Beth Klingner and me. We've reached "critical mass" in some areas and I expect that some small groups will be forming and working on "next steps."

And speaking of digital media, the Seidenberg School and Dyson College collaborate on the Digital Gallery, co-curated by Dr. Frank Marchese and Dr. Jillian McDonald.

The latest exhibit, which opened on February 10, is entitled The Aesthetics of Gaming. The artist Joe McKay will speak publicly about his work on Thurs Feb 26, 5:00 pm, followed by a reception at 6:00 pm. I enjoyed the fall Digital Gallery events very much, and I expect the Spring to be equally provocative. This exhibit is particularly timely as we consider how to bring game engineering and game design courses into our curriculum.

I am looking forward to resting on President's Day. Tuesday I'll be at the Graduate Center, Wednesday I'll be in New York City, mostly in meetings-Management Council (the officers of the University) from 9 until 11:30, Dean's Council from 11:30 until 2:30 and then the Budget Committee is meeting from 3 until 5. Whew-what a day.

Thursday I'm in Pleasantville and Friday I'm in New York, with many fewer meetings.

Catch you on the campus, and enjoy the holiday.

No comments: