Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My First Day

Today my term as Interim Dean "officially" begins. I'd like to extend congratulations to Jim Gabberty, who becomes Seidenberg Faculty Council Chair as I step down from that position to serve as Interim Dean. I am looking forward to leading our school through the next twelve to eighteen months, and I trust that I can count on everyone's support as we move forward. It's important that we focus on the strengths of our school and work together to make the Seidenberg School the best it can be.

I've been on jury duty since June 23, at Federal Court. This is a 9-to-5-with-an-hour-for-lunch jury duty, unlike other times that I've served. I was alternate juror number three, and since the jury has started to deliberate, I am now released and back at work.

I'm going to use this blog as a way to let you know where I'll be and what I'm doing. I'll post each week, usually on Friday. My current plans are to spend two days a week in New York, two days a week in Pleasantville and one day a week at the Graduate Center. The actual days will vary, based on meetings and other commitments.

Next week I'll be in New York on Monday and Thursday, in Pleasantville on Tuesday and Wednesday, and at the Graduate Center Friday morning. If any of you will be in Pleasantville on Tuesday, July 8, please join us for our final conversion event, to be held from 4:30 to 5:30 on the third floor of the Goldstein Academic Center.

I've met with Geoff Brackett three times this month to discuss issues of importance to the school. As many of you know we are waiting for the report from the President's External Task Force. We expect to receive that report by the end of July. Geoff has asked that we continue with our curricula review while we wait for the report of the External Task Force. I've asked Dan and Jim to send me the latest recommendations of the Undergraduate and Graduate Curricula Task Forces. More to come on curricula as the summer unfolds.

The President's Strategic Planning Committee continues to meet. We met on June 28 and will be meeting again on July 16. We are working in subcommittees to address some specific issues. A discussion draft will be ready for distribution to the community some time this fall.

Kudos to Jonathan Hill, Bernice Houle, Richard Kline and everyone who had anything at all to do with the success of our Seidenberg Scholars Summer Experience. I got to meet the scholars and their families yesterday, and I was quite impressed. Our scholars included a young man from Alaska, and one from Hawaii.

Please feel free to comment, remembering that all readers of this blog will see your comments. Please also feel free to e-mail me directly. Have a wonderful July 4th weekend!

12 comments:

Louise said...

Connie-

Glad to hear from you on your "first day." I was beginning to fear that we were leaderless though I had heard that you were tied up on jury duty.

I think your idea of a blog is great. I look forward to the give and take of open communication especially in light of the many issues that need to be addressed and the far flung campus structure we have to live with. Moving around from campus to campus on your part also sounds like a good approach.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you - and the rest of us -well as you undertake this new challenge.

Louise

LInda Jo said...

Congratulations on a first successful day! I love the RSS feed. Linda Jo--Happy forth!

Fran said...

Congratulations Connie on your first day as Interim Dean in what will prove to be a year with many challenges that we as school need to work on together!!. I look forward to working with you!!!

Your blog is a really neat idea.

Happy 4th to you and all!!! Fran

nplynchhale said...

Congratulations Connie!!
Look forward to an exciting year! I think the blog is a great way to keep everybody informed and engaged.

Nancy

Connie said...

Glad that you both like the blog idea, and thanks for taking time to read it.

Open communication is very important and this might be one way encourage that type of communication.

Have a wonderful 4th of July.

Connie said...

Glad that you all like the blog 8:)
(I posted the first comment while Fran and Nancy were posting theirs)

Unknown said...

I echo many of the sentiments others have expressed on the blog, Connie. Congrats and thanks for making communication with you very open using the blog as a medium. I know you'll do a terrific job as our Interim Dean...

Susan

Unknown said...

Oops! I should have identified myself more clearly in the previous post. Sorry 'bout that!

Susan Feather-Gannon

Connie said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence-I appreciate it. And glad that you think this blog is a good idea.

Susan D said...

Not sure my comment went through before, experienced some difficulties. Anyway, I reiterate everyone else's comments - blog is such a great idea; keeps everyone informed and communication is so important. Best to you this year, Connie, you will do great. You have so much energy!!

Carol said...

Best wishes, Connie. I wish you were taking over in less challenging times. But the facts are what they are. I have just been scanning through the enrollments for fall, and they are almost uniformly discouraging. There are only a few bright spots. Curriculum revision is really essential. I don't know if anyone is working on it this summer, but I don't think we really have a lot of time. I'll be away until the middle of August, but I will be on email and happy to help.
Carol

Connie said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. "May you live in interesting times" and boy do we ever!
I too wish that I was taking over in less challenging times, but I was on the faculty during the decline in enrollment following the 1989 crash-we lived thru that and we'll live thru this, too, just differently.