Here I am at the end of my first full week as Dean. I spent two hours at Dean's Council, two hours at Management Council, and many hours meeting with some of you as I learn more about what we do in our school. I've enjoyed spending time in New York again, although the last time I was in New York we weren't called the Seidenberg School and we weren't at 163 William Street, so I'm a "stranger in a strange land" but I'm certainly enjoying myself.
Staff on both campuses have been busy with orientation-yes, we have multiple orientations throughout the summer. I had the pleasure of meeting one of our Seidenberg Summer Scholars, Brian Minoghe (I hope I've spelled his name right!) who will be a first year student with us this fall. Brian and his dad stopped by the office in NY on Monday so I got to say hello and welcome him.
This year all students will be reading the book Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. We'll be planning events around this book for Pace Academy Day which will be held on Tuesday, September 2 on both campuses so mark your calendars now. The book is the story of Doctor Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti, working to provide health care to folks in the poorest country in the western hemisphere. It's a wonderful story and he's an interesting guy-here's a link to his website Partners in Healthcare
You might be interested (and proud!) to know that Sylvia Russakoff of the Pace Computer Learning Center made a presentation to the members of the Management Council about the kinds of project management courses that PCLC conducts. Steve Friedman mentioned that many of us think we know how to manage projects but we really don't, and the folks at the PCLC might be able to help us out here. And there are many projects, large and small, going on. More about that later.
Next week I'll be in Pleasantville on Monday, out of the office on Tuesday, and in New York on Wednesday (for a Strategic Planning Committee meeting from 10 until 12:30) and again on Thursday (for a Management Council Informal Lunch from 12:30 until 2:30). I'm planning to take off Friday morning (but that might change).
I'll be on vacation from Saturday July 19 until Sunday August 3.
Finally, our biggest concern continues to be enrollment. Please comment here, drop me a line or call me at either X11810 or X33750 and let me know what you've been doing and/or what you think I can do to help with enrollment. And let me know what you think about anything at all.
See you on one of the campuses!
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Connie - thanks for the kind words. You seemed so comfortable and on target at the Management Council meeting that it was hard to believe it was your first one. We at PCLC look forward to sharing our expertise with project management with the University. Sylvia
Thanks-I was enjoying Management Council. I have known and worked with many of the people there,some for many years, and everyone has been very welcoming.
Post a Comment