Friday, October 31, 2008

Staff Meeting

Thanks to everyone who made time today to join me in a four way (!) video-conferenced staff meeting. I'll post my notes later, but here is a brief summary of what we talked about:
  1. what I see as our major challenges: enrollment, cost containment and collaboration
  2. the strength of our school and my expectation that it will continue to be strong
  3. the assurance that we will all have jobs at the university, although those jobs might not be in the Seidenberg School
  4. my plan to reorganize the academic departments in a way that will serve our students more efficiently
I thanked everyone for the fine work we do in retaining our students, in working with them to insure that they have a good experience in the Seidenberg School, and in meeting challenges "head on" and solving problems creatively.

And I reminded everyone that problems caught early are more easily resolved than problems learned about later; a problem is an opportunity in disguise.

Next week I'll be at the downtown campus on Monday and Thursday. We'll be hosting a memorial service for Mike Gargano on Monday afternoon. I'll be at the Graduate Center on Tuesday (right after I vote-don't forget to vote!) and in Pleasantville on Tuesday and Wednesday [correction: make that Wednesday and Friday-I can't be in two places at once!]. Wednesday faculty and staff can get flu shots in Pleasantville-I'll be getting mine during the afternoon, after I attend the Faculty Exchange Lunch hosted by the Pforzhemeir Center and the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology. The topic is the Middle States review-faculty,stop by at this lunch or the lunch in NY to learn about your role in a successful Middle States visit. Register at the CTLT Website.

Have a wonderful weekend, a Happy Halloween and don't forget to turn your clocks back (Spring ahead, Fall back!)

2 comments:

wilpen said...

Dean Knapp,

Thank you for conducting the staff meeting this past Friday. It's a great way for all of us to work together towards improving the Seidenberg School.

I would love to continue these meetings and look forward to sharing collaborative ideas that can help us solve our current obstacles.

Connie said...

Freddy,
Glad you found it helpful. We will continue to meet, and I appreciate your support for this way of communicating.
Connie