Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm instituting a new "meeting with me" policy

I'm attending the Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network Conference in Reno/Sparks Nevada where Jim Stenerson and I presented a paper written by Jim, John Molluzzo and me on faculty career stages. I really enjoy this conference of primarily faculty development folks. They are a warm friendly group (mostly extroverts, I would guess!) and the conference always provides me with new ideas. The Pforzhemeir Faculty Development Center funded this trip, since the work was done while I was the co-director.

I can't say that I'm enjoying Sparks as much as I am the conference. The hotel is basically a casino with conference facilities. I've been here since Wednesday and will fly home tomorrow. I'll be in Pleasantville on Monday and Wednesday, downtown on Tuesday and Friday, and at the Graduate Center on Thursday.

I've been able to have an "open door" policy for the first two months of the semester but for the next two months I'll be saying "no" more than before to meetings.

In order to make the best use of my time I'll be asking those of you who want to meet with me to 1) contact Fran O'Gara and 2) tell her exactly what it is you need from me.

If the purpose of the meeting is to brief me on a project or an activity, please send me a note and copy Fran, rather than meeting with me. I will be reserving meetings for those issues that require a specific action from me.

This doesn't mean that my door will be "closed;" it just means that I need to focus my time differently. And this doesn't mean that I won't stop by and chat or say hello whenever I'm on campus (besides, I can't seem to help myself !).

Please feel free to let me know what you think about this or anything else!

No comments: