Friday, September 12, 2008

September 8 - 12

Another whirlwind of a week! I can't wait until the semester settles down a bit.

Bernice, Jonathan and I met with the Enrollment Management staff who do our recruiting. We will be focusing heavily on what we think of as "traditional enrollment" which means students in seats. The best way faculty can help is to attend open houses; the first Westchester open house is Sunday, November 9, and the first New York open house is Sunday, November 16. So fellow faculty members, please get those dates on your calendars right now!

I also met the entering DPS students in the IT professionals cohort. Much to my surprise as I was introducing myself at each table, one of them turned to me and said, you taught me database. It was nice to be reconnected with Rafael Leefoon again.

Thursday I was in New York on the 18th floor for most of the day, at Dean's Council in the morning and Management Council in the afternoon.

Some things to pay attention to:

Middle States: next week there will be two town hall meetings and while this might not be the most interesting thing in the world, our Middle States visit is very important, so please take the time to at least skim the part of the report that relates to the Seidenberg School.

Digital Gallery: Frank Marchese, along with Jillian Mcdonald of Dyson College, co-curate the gallery and will have an opening this Thursday evening.

Some of you were inspired to buy David Allen's book, Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity. If enough of us are interested, we can get together once a semester and talk about how we are doing with GTD. Any one up for a "lunch and learn" format?

Next week I'll be in Pleasantville on Monday and Tuesday, at the Graduate Center on Wednesday, and in New York on Thursday and Friday, but mostly at the Midtown Center. I have a Society for Information Management meeting in Stamford on Thursday evening; I am really looking forward to going, especially since the speaker is E. Jeffrey Hutchinson, the CIO of Group Danone and a student in our DPS for IT professionals.

Thursday the department chairs, program chairs and I will be meeting to discuss the role of a department/program chair. Faculty, you may want to discuss your perspective with your chairs. This is the beginning of a discussion of the structure of the academic side of our school. Please note that I said BEGINNING of a DISCUSSION. All of us need to be involved.

Have a great weekend-see you around campus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that a semesterly GTD discussion is a very good idea. Count me in!

Louise

Connie said...

Anyone else?